Home Health A brief on Level 2 and 3 of the Health and Social...

A brief on Level 2 and 3 of the Health and Social Care Diploma

- Advertisement -

Health and Social Care combine the concepts of nutrition, law, biology, and sociology to provide health care and social services to people. It is a generic term used for the whole healthcare infrastructure in the UK. The people who qualify as health and social care workers provide their support to vulnerable people like differently-abled, older people, etc. In addition, they also offer their services in hospitals and the form of in-home care to people.

To qualify as HSC workers, people can get their diplomas in Health and Social Care at different levels. Each level makes you eligible for different types of jobs. This post mentions the jobs you can get with your different level HSC diploma. Scroll further to know more.

Where can you do the Courses from? 

There are various health and social care courses available at different places in the UK. You can choose from self-funded or government-funded health and social care courses to complete your education and learn the skills needed to carry out your role. However, the basic levels do not have any tests or criteria to analyze your health and social care domain knowledge.

However, many online governments funded courses help you specialize in child and adult care. There, you need to complete an apprenticeship in health and social care. As a result, you receive proper training, and you end up becoming a qualified HSC worker. The apprenticeship is available at three levels:

  • Intermediate: Level 2, equivalent to getting 5GCSE at 4+ credit
  • Advanced: It is a level 3 apprenticeship which equals to 2A levels
  • Higher: You can pursue this at level 5. The higher apprenticeship holds the same importance as a foundation degree.

Level 2 

Level 2 Health and social care diplomas are for people who want to get into health and social care. It also benefits existing employees who work under supervision but needs to polish their skills to take on more responsibility. At this level, you will learn:

  • Effective communication techniques in health and social care depending on the patient’s age group.
  • Roles and responsibilities of health and social care workers
  • Ways to ensure everyone in your care receive equal attention and care irrespective of their health condition, race, religion, etc.
  • Health and safety considerations
  • Safety and protection guidelines for yourself and for people you are caring for.

Upon receiving the level 2 HSC diploma, you are eligible to support community projects,

Level 3

Level 3 will help you upgrade to the senior level at your workplace. It has two pathways to follow; you can choose either depending on your interest. You can choose the diploma in either Children and Young People, or Adults.

As per your choice of pathway, you need to complete at least nine adult units, or 14 children and young people core units, to learn:

  • Assess and plan with the preferred age group
  • Promote growth that is centred around your patient.
  • Implementing duty of care
  • Engage in personal development

After getting your level 3 diploma, you are eligible for residential care, community, private care, domiciliary care, community-based care, etc. In addition, if you are already working in the healthcare sector, you can take on additional responsibilities.


There are several other levels in the Health and Social care diploma. Most people who have patients to look after at home take level 2 and 3 certificates to gain basic knowledge on handling patients.

Apart from professional entry into the health care sector, completing these diplomas also helps polish one’s medical skills to offer community service in times of need. You can complete your diplomas from government-funded online courses in 6-12 months.

- Advertisement -
Christopher Stern
Christopher Stern is a Washington-based reporter. Chris spent many years covering tech policy as a business reporter for renowned publications. He has extensive experience covering Congress, the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, and other federal agencies. He is a graduate of Middlebury College. Email:[email protected]

Must Read