Quite often we come across discussions and debates about the method of learning – whether education and learning can happen through one’s own efforts or does one need a teacher and instructor who can hand-hold and guide you through the learning process. Although there are arguments and counter-arguments, overall it remains undisputed that instructor led training is by far the best mode of learning. Especially so, when it comes to recruiting and training new joiners, a guide can help understand and comprehend things better. When companies recruit fresh talent who come straight from college after completing their studies, they are simply graduates in their respective fields. Their grooming and orientation have to be done by someone who is well-versed in the system and procedures.
Generally, students and learners are conditioned to follow the instructions of an instructor for training purposes. It is considered to be a traditional way to impart education and lead a learner towards his goals. The instructor facilitates the learning process by guiding the students through training sessions for a group or individually. It gives real-time access to the learners for immediate doubt-clearing, feedback and discussion. It facilitates instant response to queries and allows for better understanding. Learning from a real-time teacher, even though in virtual mode, is always far better than recorded lectures on VHS tapes etc. It brings in better comprehension, more exposure and understanding in addition to saving time and energy of following up later. Nowadays orientations and training are quite common and are organized in the form of webinars, one-to-one or group interactions or even workshops, depending upon the needs and circumstances. Let us explore this in-depth and try and understand the advantages of training by an actual person:
- Interactive and Discussion based: The learning process becomes interactive and discussion-based when a real person is involved. It means that learners can begin a dialogue and do a detailed analysis of the topic by discussing it with the instructor immediately after the lesson is delivered. There is instant scope for discussion and clearing one’s doubts and apprehensions. It makes the teaching-learning process smooth and result-oriented. The teacher can also be sure to explain the concept as desired by the students, as well as the learners can grab the idea better by clarifying their doubts simultaneously. In this manner, the information is retained and immediate responses can be solicited for the activities undertaken.
- Focused learning: The method of teacher-led learning helps to stay focused on the topic at hand and understand the concepts in depth. It means that the learner is able to utilize his energies and resources in a better way by focusing on the required field. There is no distraction as the learning area is dedicated to a specific purpose. Since it is a classroom kind ambience, the learners are not tempted to divert their attention to other gadgets or any other mode. Their focus stays on the task at hand which results in increased retention of the concept.
- Scope for Modification: Since the learners are listening and responding in real-time, the instructor has the option of modifying the learning process and content as per the need and levels of the learners. The instructor can readily assess the stage of understanding and make changes in the curriculum or the content and its delivery instantly. The scope of teaching is enhanced as more techniques and methods can be tried and implemented, based on the instant feedback given by the learners.
- Networking & blending: Learning from a real-time teacher also leads to networking as the learners interact and understand the perspective of others along with getting to know each other while they interact or work on assignments together. It helps to build a network which helps them in the work environment in later years. Very often, they work in teams and develop bonding among themselves. Such interactions encourage appropriate relationships and teamwork. Another feature of learning in real-time is the blending of various resources to ensure effective learning. It means that the teachers and the learners both have the opportunity to utilize technological advancements and take advantage of both physical and virtual resources. When such blended learning happens, retention is long-term and effective. The teacher may resort to using technology and apply techniques such as flipped classrooms or problem-solving techniques.
- Refreshing change: The prospects of learning through a teacher increase the chances of experiencing a change and feeling refreshed. It means that the usage of various techniques, interactions and the guidance of the instructor in real time enliven the learning process. One can break the monotony of being stuck in front of a machine or a computer and learn in the free environs of a class led by a group of like-minded learners. The use of collaborative tools and technology makes learning a focused task.
Some learning resources also offer teaching-focused training software which helps to update and recapitulate the concepts along with active learning. This facilitates the learning process and the students can learn the concepts in an improved and efficient manner. It also helps to streamline the teaching-learning process as the teachers can allocate the required budget based on the training requirements. As learners can provide feedback instantly, the instructors can alter and adjust the curriculum and bring required changes as and when required to benefit the learners.
Indeed nothing can negate the importance and relevance of learning from an instructor whether in real life or virtually. The learners can make the most of this opportunity from any location and utilize the e-learning resources effectively giving the most desirable results. Virtual instructor led training and learning is equally effective and useful and help the learners to indulge in the learning process while having an interactive session. It enhances the learning experience and assists in the retention and absorption of the concepts thoroughly. Virtual teacher-led training is very effective and useful for learners as it helps to cover the gaps in learning and also saves time and resources since it can be conducted both synchronously and asynchronously. So don’t think too much, go ahead and enrol yourself for the most effective method of learning available today.