Can I get married in the US if I’m not a citizen?

Getting married is a momentous occasion filled with love, joy, and the promise of forever. But what if you’re not a US citizen? Can you still have your dream wedding in the United States? The answer may surprise you! In this blog post, we’ll explore the requirements for getting married in the US and discuss your options if you’re not a citizen. So whether you’ve found your soulmate across borders or simply want to tie the knot during your visit to America, read on to discover how you can make you’re happily ever after happen right here in the land of opportunity!

The requirements for getting married in the US

Getting married in the US requires specific requirements to ensure a legal union. Both parties involved must be at least 18 or have parental consent if younger. You’ll need to obtain a marriage license from the county clerk’s office in the state where you plan to marry.

Each state may have specific documentation requirements, such as providing valid identification like a passport or driver’s license. It’s important to check with the local authorities beforehand to avoid any last-minute surprises.

Another crucial aspect is that neither party should already be married. Divorce decrees or death certificates of previous spouses may be required as proof. Some states require blood tests for certain medical conditions before granting a marriage license.

It’s worth noting that same-sex marriages have been legal nationwide in the US since June 2015, following a historic Supreme Court ruling.

Remember that these requirements can vary slightly from state to state, so it’s essential to research and familiarizes yourself with the specific regulations of your desired wedding location well in advance!

If you’re not a US citizen, what are your options?

If you’re not a US citizen and want to get married in the United States, several options are available to you. Each option has its own requirements and procedures that must be followed.

One option is to obtain a marriage visa. This visa type is specifically for individuals who wish to marry a US citizen and then live in the country permanently. To apply for this visa, you must provide documentation proving your relationship with your future spouse and meet other eligibility criteria.

Another option is to enter the country on a tourist visa and get married while you are here. However, it’s important to note that getting married on a tourist visa does not automatically grant you legal status or permission to stay in the US. You will still need to go through the appropriate immigration processes to remain in the country after getting married.

It’s also possible for non-US citizens already legally residing in the United States, such as those with student or work visas, to get married here. Again, each situation may have different requirements depending on your immigration status.

How to get a marriage license

Getting a marriage license is important in legalizing your union in the United States. Whether you’re a US citizen or not, the process is relatively straightforward. Here’s what you need to know about obtaining a marriage license:

1. Research the requirements: Each state may have different requirements for getting a marriage license, so it’s essential to do your research beforehand. Check with the county clerk’s office in the location where you plan to get married for specific guidelines and any additional documents you may need.

2. Gather necessary documents: Typically, you’ll need identification, such as passports or driver’s licenses, proof of age (birth certificates), and Social Security numbers. Divorce or death certificates may be required if either party was previously married.

3. Apply: Fill out the marriage license application form the county clerk’s office provided. Some states allow online applications, while others require in-person visits.

4. Pay any fees: A fee is usually associated with obtaining a marriage license, which varies depending on the state and county.

5. Wait for processing: Once your application and all required documents and payment are submitted, it will be processed by the county clerk’s office within their designated timeframe.

6. Receive your marriage license: After processing, you can collect your marriage license from the county clerk’s office before your wedding ceremony.

Remember that this information serves as general guidance only, and it’s crucial to consult official sources or seek legal advice based on your unique situation!


While being a non-citizen does present some additional considerations when marrying in the United States, it should encourage couples who dream of tying the knot on American soil. By understanding and fulfilling all requirements – whether they pertain to marriage licenses or immigration procedures – love knows no boundaries! So go ahead and explore your options; love truly knows no borders!

Christopher Stern

Christopher Stern is a Washington-based reporter. Chris spent many years covering tech policy as a business reporter for renowned publications. He has extensive experience covering Congress, the Federal Communications Commission, and the Federal Trade Commissions. He is a graduate of Middlebury College. Email:[email protected]

Related Articles

Back to top button