Formal attire (also referred to as eveningwear or formal wear) is clothing worn on special occasions and events, such as weddings, galas, proms and other significant gatherings. Color choices in formal wear not only serve aesthetic reasons but also carry symbolic meaning that reflects the significance and theme of each occasion.
Common Colors for Formal Attire
- Black: When it comes to formal events, black remains one of the classic and timeless colors for formal attire. Exuding elegance, sophistication and formality it is often chosen for events like black tie galas, funerals and evening weddings.
- White: White symbolizes purity, innocence, and simplicity – which make it the ideal color choice for events like weddings where brides traditionally wear white wedding dresses; lavetir plus size bridesmaid dresses typically complement this look in various shades of white or ivory hues.
- Navy Blue: Navy blue is an elegant yet subtle hue that exudes tranquillity, confidence, and subdued elegance – ideal for formal events like weddings, business functions and military balls.
- Red: Red is a bold and vibrant hue that symbolizes passion, love, and energy. This hue makes for an eye-catching accent piece at any formal event or formal function; making red an excellent choice when purchasing cocktail dresses for evening events or formal functions.
- Gold and Silver: Gold and silver metallic hues have long been associated with wealth, luxury and grandeur, often being chosen for formal events with glamorous or celebratory themes like award ceremonies or holiday parties.
- Pastel Colors: Soft pastel shades such as blush pink, light lavender and mint green exude softness, romance, and freshness – ideal for spring/summer weddings as well as garden parties.
Color Symbolism in Formal Attire
- Black: Black is often associated with formality, power and sophistication; conveying an air of elegance and timelessness.
- White: Representing purity, innocence and a fresh start, white wedding attire has long been associated with new beginnings – making it a favorite choice among brides-to-be and grooms-to-be alike.
- Navy Blue: Evokes feelings of trust, confidence and stability; it can be both formal and approachable depending on its usage.
- Red: Red symbolizes passion, love and vitality; its vibrant hue commands attention while adding a bold and dramatic accent to any event.
- Gold and Silver: Gold and silver symbolize wealth, luxury, and celebration; adding an air of glamour and extravagance to formal events.
- Pastel Colors: Soft pastel hues convey softness, femininity, and tranquillity; perfect for creating romantic and ethereal environments.
Color selection in formal attire is an integral component of event planning.
Set the scene, communicate a theme and convey emotions associated with any special occasion with clothing that sets the mood, communicates its meaning and reflects emotions associated with it. From timeless elegance of black, purity of white or boldness of red; each color symbolizes something different – understanding their symbolic significance can help make thoughtful and impactful selections when selecting formal attire for special events such as weddings. Furthermore, matching bridesmaid dresses to the overall color scheme increases visual harmony and unity within bridal parties.