Aging is beautiful if we embrace it gracefully. It is a natural process of getting older day by day. The early signs of aging can be seen on your face if you do not care for your skin properly. The aging skin looks saggy, thin, and wrinkled. It is due to genetics and various external factors. Aging cannot be reversed in numbers, but you can slow down the aging of your skin by maintaining a proper skin care routine. Adding quality products and following a proper anti-aging skincare routine can help you maintain youthful and radiant skin.
Biology of skin aging
Skin aging is a complex process in which the regeneration of cells slows down. All three skin layers undergo a number of modifications as a result of their decreasing volume and general efficacy.
- The upper layer of skin, called the epidermis, becomes thin and transparent. Thus, the skin becomes more vulnerable to damage.
- The skin loses its natural fat and collagen, so no more plumpness and elasticity are seen.
- Skin becomes drier as the barrier function deteriorates and the production of essential oils such as sebum decreases. This results in the production of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Sensation is reduced as the number of epidermal nerve endings declines.
- The skin’s capacity to respond to heat exposure is diminished due to the reduction in sweat glands and blood vessels.
- As people age, their melanocyte count tends to diminish, which reduces the skin’s ability to block UV light.
- During aging, free radicals accumulate in the skin. They cause cell damage and oxidative stress. Resulting in inflammation, DNA damage, and premature ageing of the skin.
Aging signs appear as soon as these cellular changes start. But we can combat these by following a proper anti-aging skincare routine, which can help slow down aging and protect the epidermal layer.
How does premature aging start?
Premature aging is the emergence of aging symptoms earlier than expected, such as wrinkles, age spots, and thinning skin. Many different things might cause skin layers to deteriorate over time. Knowing them can help you avoid them. Here are a few:
1) Sun exposure
Sunlight and UV rays cause irreparable damage to the skin. It absorbs into the skin layers and damages the DNA structure. Thus, resulting in dark spots and wrinkles.
2) Poor sleep
Disturbed sleep cycles release stress hormones. Due to poor sleep, skin loses its freshness and starts aging before its time. Puffiness and dark circles develop under your eyes. A beauty nap is important for cell rejuvenation. So, one must consider getting a proper 8 hours of sleep.
3) Unhealthy diet
Eating foods high in sugar and carbs is damaging to skin cells. It can accelerate aging and slow down cell regeneration. Nature has provided us with many options rich in collagen and fiber that should be replaced with unhealthy foods.
Smoking is otherwise hazardous for health, and the same is true for the skin. It causes the skin to lose its firmness by reducing collagen production. Heavy smokers develop skin cancers due to the deposition of carcinogenic agents within their cells.
5) Caffeine and alcohol
Consuming excessive caffeine dehydrates the skin. The same is true for alcohol. Skin looks no more plum and firmer. Replacing them with water or healthy drinks will keep you hydrated and slow down premature aging.
Proper Anti-Aging Skincare Routine: A Step-by-Step Guide
After their 30s, everyone should diligently follow a proper skin care regimen to stop premature aging. Here is a step-by-step guide along with suggestions of well-known ingredients proven to give the desired results against aging. It requires patience and persistence.
Step 1: Cleansing
Skin care starts with cleansing. A gentle cleanser will serve the purpose. It will remove impurities and help clean the pores. Glycolic acid, glycerin, or ceramide-containing cleansers should be preferred. They do not cause skin irritation, especially in teens.
Step 2: Tonner
Alcohol-free toners are applied after cleansing to remove any residues of dust or debris. It evens out the skin and helps to close the pores. By locking in moisture, toners provide hydration for the skin. Green tea and vitamin C toners help fight free radicals and provide a protective layer over the skin.
Step 3: Exfoliation
Exfoliation is necessary to remove dead skin layers and improve absorption. A gentle exfoliation should be done once a week. It must not contain any irritating agents that can cause blemishes and damage the skin’s moisture barrier.
Step 4: Serums
Serums are the game changer.
Their specified ingredients can stop and reverse the process of aging. Ingredients include:
- Retinol serum is the super ingredient for aging skin and is known for its miracles. It helps shed dead cells and brings a rejuvenated, fresh layer of skin underneath. Treat wrinkles, fine lines, and pigmentation. Retinol can be irritating, so it must be added gradually to your skin care routine.
- Vitamin C serum helps fight oxidative damage like hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, and roughness. It also helps with collagen production.
- Hyaluronic acid serum helps lock in moisture. Gives your skin a hydrating and radiant look. Inhibit the appearance of laugh lines and aging signs.
- Niacinamide serum is known for its collagen production. It helps to brighten the skin and treat uneven skin tone. Gives you fresh and youthful skin.
Step 5: Moisturizer
It provides extra hydration and locks all the ingredients within the skin’s cells. Moisturizers should balance ingredients used in earlier products. Niacinamide- and ceramide-containing moisturizers can be applied to all skin types.
Step 6: Sunscreens
Sunscreen is a must for any skin condition and all skin types. Everyone should wear at least SPF 30 before stepping out. It will protect you from sun damage and discoloration.
Aging is natural, and everyone has to go through it. Cellular layers change their morphology, affecting the outer layers of skin. Aging skin is a more stressful dilemma for women than for men. But it can be regulated by many lifestyle changes and specialized products that can change the way you look. They can bring a new radiance to your sagging skin. The need is to stay positive and consistent. Start your proper anti-aging skincare routine today. It will delay the process of aging. Eat healthy, keep yourself hydrated, and stay fresh today!
Author: Hassan Tariq Malik, Freelance SEO Consultant