For secure data erasure, there is a variety of software on the market. Hard drives, SSDs, NVMe, and other storage devices can all have their data erased. They also have thorough reporting tools to monitor the erasing process and guarantee that they adhere to industry standards. We’ll go over the benefits and drawbacks of three pieces of software in this blog.
What Factors Should I Take into Account While Selecting a Hard Drive Wiping Software?
Although there is a wide range of both free and paid data erasing software available on the market, selecting the one that is best for your company necessitates considerable thought. You must base your decision on the following factors:
Usefulness: A wiping tool should be simple to use, with clear instructions and a straightforward user interface, so that wiping requires little training.
Data Protection: Making sure that all data is securely deleted and cannot be recovered is the main goal of wiping a device. Using a tool that employs trustworthy safe data-wiping methods, such as NIST 800-88 Clean & Purge, DoD 3 & 7 Passes, etc., is crucial.
Scalability: The data wiping tool should have the capacity to erase thousands of devices at once and should give users the choice to erase their devices at any time and from any location.
Compliance: Permanent data disposal is required by data privacy legislation. Hence, it’s crucial to utilise a solution that can handle compliance with a variety of legislation, including CCPA, GDPR, HIPAA, PCI DSS, and others, as well as wiping your media devices.
What are the Top 3 Software for Hard Drive Wiping?
We’ve developed a list of the top three data erasure tools that, in our opinion, stand in for Hard Drive Wiping:
BitRaser: BitRaser is a one-stop shop for all your data wiping needs. It was created and developed by renowned data care specialists Stellar Data Recovery Inc. Due to its comprehensive capabilities and certifications, BitRaser is regarded as the best Wipe Drive substitute in 2023. BitRaser can completely delete private information from a range of storage media. This comprises HDDs and SSDs in computers, servers, data centres, Mac devices (including M1 & T2), laptops, desktops, and other devices. Major disc types including SATA, PATA, SCSI, SAS, and USB are also supported.
Benefits of BitRaser:
- Even someone who is not technically savvy can utilise the DIY software BitRaser.
- The software is compatible with a wide range of devices, including those running Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- In-depth Tamper-Proof Certificates and Erasure Reports are generated by the software and saved on the BitRaser cloud account. They serve as audit trails and aid in complying with data privacy rules.
- Supports 24 international data erasure standards, including DoD 3 & 7 Passes and NIST 800-88 Clean & Purge.
- NIST, DHS, ADISA, NYCE Mexico, Ontrack, and other organisations have tested and endorsed BitRaser.
- Cost-effective data erasure method; based on comparison to other commercially available software, perhaps the least expensive on the market.
- User management and licence distribution are made easier with the BitRaser cloud console. The robust console also aids in automating the erasure process, making it efficient, scalable, and manageable.
- The software can wipe up to 65,000 drives via a network or 100 loose drives in a chassis thanks to its scalability.
- Bulk purchasers can customise BitRaser.
- Last but not least, there is free technical help available around-the-clock. Consumers can call, chat, or email the company.
KillDisk: LSoft Technologies Inc. created the hardware and software solutions for data erasure known as KillDisk. Only their data erasing programme is being discussed in this article. Although the application securely deletes all data from HDDs, SSDs, USB devices, and Memory Cards, it has various restrictions regarding scalability, manageability over cloud interface, third-party certifications, etc.
- Supports 24 international data erasure standards, such as NIST and DoD.
- Can wipe 100 drives concurrently.
- Certifies erasure with the bare minimum of information
- Offers a yearly licence fee that permits machine erasing
- For home users, there is a freeware version available.
Blancco: The data erasure software produced by Blancco Technology Group is a market leader in data destruction and mobile device diagnostics solutions. Although it is well-known in the data erasure industry and provides businesses with safe, automated data erasure solutions that can be used to a wide range of devices. Yet, it is the most expensive software in the sector and has a complicated user interface.
- Supports 24 or more international data erasure standards, including BitRaser, NIST, and DoD.
- Blancco has received certification from numerous international organisations.
- Blancco is pricey in terms of price; they are over 4 times more expensive than other well-known brands like BitRaser.
- Blancco offers telephone and email technical help for a fee. They also have self-help materials in their knowledge base.
- The programme provides tamper-proof certificates and reports of erasure and is scalable.
Aforementioned software’s benefits and drawbacks exist. It is now up to you to analyse the advantages and disadvantages and select the option that best serves your company’s needs and offers the greatest rewards. Finding a data erasure solution that will not only help you accomplish safe and secure data erasure but also support you with ongoing maintenance, updates, and corrections is essential.