An OTP SMS is a powerful tool for verifying identity in India with OTP SMS providers. The average person spends a large chunk of their day on their mobile devices – with many using them to stay connected to their loved ones, access news, and even work. A great many of us rely on our phones to get through our day-to-day activities, with the majority of us spending multiple hours glued to our screens. Consequently, it is no surprise that the mobile device has become a major source of distraction.
In today’s digital world, the utilization of One-Time Password (OTP) SMS has become a norm for authentication in various online proceedings and services. From OTP verification, two-factor authentication, phone number verification, account recovery to payment confirmation, OTP SMS is an important factor that aids in maintaining user data security and avoiding unauthorized access; playing a crucia
Product designers and developers must prioritize optimizing the implementation of OTP SMS forms to ensure a secure and effortless user experience. This article aims to provide an overview of the best practices for OTP SMS forms, with a special emphasis on user-friendly design and secure implementation.
OTP SMS can be used for :-
- Two-Factor Authentication: Along with basic username and password credentials, a one-time password sent to the user’s registered mobile phone number provides an additional level of protection.
- Phone Number Verification: In certain services, the user’s phone number functions as the primary identifier. To verify the ownership of the number, SMS OTP is used in combination with a PIN for two-factor authentication.
- Account Recovery: If users are locked out of their accounts, OTP SMS can be utilized to help with account recovery. By sending the user an OTP to their registered phone number, they can get back into their account and bolster security.
- Payment Confirmation: Financial systems, such as banks and credit card issuers, often necessitate extra authentication for security purposes. OTP SMS is commonly used to validate payments and make sure the transaction is approved by the account holder.
Suggested Strategies for OTP SMS Forms
When constructing SMS OTP forms, one should take into account the following best practices in order to improve user experience and security:
1. Composition of the One-Time Password Text Message
For a positive user experience and to ensure secure OTP entry, conforming to a set format and being consistent is essential. It is suggested that the origin-bound message format be followed. The OTP SMS message should be ended with the @ symbol followed by the receiver domain, and the OTP preceded by #. An example of the SMS text format is below:
The one-time password for @your-domain.com is #123456, which is 123456.
2. Breaking up OTP numbers into smaller parts aids in making them easier to comprehend.
To improve the understandability and usability of OTP numbers, think about breaking them up into more accessible and communicable formats. For example, instead of displaying the OTP as a single long sequence, separate it into smaller parts. For instance, the OTP “456787” can be represented as “45 67 87.” By presenting the OTP like this, users can more readily remember and recognize the numbers. Here are some suggested formats: “xxx xxx,” “xx xx xx,” “xxxx xxxx,” or “x x x x x x” (where “x” stands for a number).
3. Prolonging the Validity of One-Time Passwords
In order to enhance the user experience and diminish the load on the system, it is advisable to extend the period of validity of OTPs within the context of the pertinent regulations and laws. Having a longer duration for OTPs facilitates the process of carrying out multiple tasks without the danger of the OTP expiring. On the other hand, it should be noted that certain essential transactions may necessitate shorter periods of validity for security reasons.
4. Establishing a Correspondence between User Interface and OTP SMS Format
Maintaining uniformity in the layout of the user interface and the OTP SMS message is essential in order to limit user mistakes when entering the OTP. To illustrate, if the user interface displays the OTP as “XX XX XX,” then the SMS should also follow the same structure.
The core concept of learning is to gain knowledge and develop new skills. Gaining knowledge and developing new skills is essential in order to progress in life. This process of gaining new information and honing abilities can be done in a variety of ways, such as attending classes, reading books, watching tutorials, or working with mentors. All these activities are necessary for growth and development.
5. Refrain from Using Alphanumeric and Three-Number Combinations
Where possible, set up OTPs without the use of alphanumeric codes. This is especially important in scenarios where higher security is a priority. Alphanumeric codes may be prone to mistakes and users could potentially enter a CVV code or something similar, leading to confusion. Additionally, to avoid any mix-ups, three-digit codes should not be used as they could be easily confused with other numeric inputs during payment interactions.
6. Give OTP Priority in SMS Texts
For the sake of user experience and access, the OTP should be put first in an SMS message. This allows users to see the OTP in message previews, regardless of whether their device is locked or notifications are visible on a desktop or tablet. Nonetheless, it is critical to consider the potential issues of privacy and theft that come with displaying the OTP prominently.
7. Refrain From Putting Other Types of Numbers Near an OTP
In order to prevent user confusion and mistakes, it is necessary to maintain the OTP section distinct from other numeric codes or data in the SMS message. Placing multiple numbers or codes in close proximity can make it difficult to interpret and increases the probability of incorrect entries. Therefore, it is essential to keep the OTP section separate from the other message content.
8. Avoid Repeating Patterns and Long Sequences
For an optimal user experience, it is best to avoid using double or triple series in OTPs as this can lead to errors during manual entry. People may mistakenly repeat the same number or series, which would prevent authentication from succeeding. Therefore, do not use repetitive patterns or series when designing OTPs.
9. Ensuring the Safe Passage of One-Time Passwords Through Voice Calls or Emails
For automated voice calls with OTPs, take advantage of the recency effect to help the user remember the code. Start the call with an explanation and then repeat the OTP without expecting a response from the customer. This reduces the effort needed to remember and increases the likelihood of accurate entry. For OTPs sent via email, think about including the code in the subject line, allowing quick access without first opening the message. Be aware, though, of the potential for theft if the code can be seen in notifications on different devices.
Advantages for Companies of Streamlined SMS OTP Forms
By refining SMS OTP forms, there are many advantages to your business that can be realized:
- Reducing Mistakes from Users: By using user-friendly design and a clear format for OTPs, user errors are decreased, providing a smoother experience. This causes less frustration, more user satisfaction, and more people using the product or service.
- Reducing the System Load: By extending the validity of OTPs, the strain on SMS systems and validation services is decreased. This is especially important when a large user base is present, ensuring OTPs are handled efficiently and delays are kept to a minimum.
- Facilitating Quicker Completion of Tasks: By properly optimizing SMS OTP forms, users can complete tasks faster, leading to higher conversion rates and greater income. Streamlining authentication processes creates a hassle-free experience, which encourages customer loyalty.
- Improving Security: Adhering to the best practices for SMS OTP forms helps protect user data and stops unauthorized access. By providing secure delivery and consistent formatting, phishing, fraud, and identity theft can be avoided.
- Fostering Inclusivity and Access: Designing with users in mind is beneficial for those with disabilities and older adults, allowing them to use the product or service more easily. By prioritizing user experience and security, an environment that is inclusive for a variety of users is created.
OTP SMS Provider in India
Verify Now is a trusted OTP SMS provider in India with direct operator connectivity. The platform ensures instant OTP SMS delivery in India at unbeatable rates. It provides the best routes for high success rates and deliverability.
You can get started for free or talk to the team.