In the past few years, the trend of using solar energy systems to fulfil some of our energy demands has been increasing. People are realizing the benefits of using renewable energy sources not just for the environment but financially as well. When thinking about solar energy systems, most people tend to forget about solar power inverters and think that solar panels make up the entire system.
A Dcbel r16 can function as a solar inverter for a standard residential solar installation. Also it facilitates the transfer of energy between solar panels, backup battery storage, EV and household outlets. You can learn more here.
Solar inverter for home is one of the most crucial parts of the system as they are responsible for converting the electricity the panels create into something that the appliances can use. Before we talk about why a solar inverter is better for your home, let’s take a quick look into what a solar inverter actually is and how it works.
How A Solar Inverter Works
When your solar panel experiences sunlight, the electrons inside it start moving around and generate electricity. This electricity is direct current (DC) which is useless for the majority of appliances we use nowadays.
This DC energy is then sent to solar inverters. The inverter uses transformers, control and switching circuits, and relays to convert this direct current into alternating current (AC), something that most houses use around the world. Hence, without a solar inverter, your solar panel is just a costly roof cover.
Advantages of Using Solar Inverter for Home
There are numerous benefits of installing a solar panel and inverter system in your home. Some of these are:
- Solar inverters use energy from the sun which is renewable and doesn’t produce any greenhouse gases that cause harm to the environment.
- It makes a lot of sense financially as well because it can substitute power supplied by the grid to some extent reducing your annual electricity bill to a great extent.
- As opposed to traditional inverters or generators, solar inverters are quite easy to install and operate.
- They are easy to maintain and repair and come with a warranty that can extend up to 25 years or more.
- Unlike electrical panels, you don’t need an ATS equipment or an external transfer switch.
- It helps businesses and homes in reducing their overall energy needs.
- Other equipment like solar heaters and solar cookers can also make use of the solar inverter to work.
- Homeowners and businesses get better visibility on their energy usage and control it from increasing too much as well.
Difference Between a Solar Inverter and Regular Inverter
Apart from their costs, appearance, and size, there are several differences between a regular inverter and a solar inverter.
- Traditional inverters make use of non-renewable energy sources like gasoline or electricity from the power grid to produce electricity. A solar inverter, on the other hand, uses solar energy to produce electricity. It is free, safe for the environment, and inherently safe for humans as well.
- Regular inverters instantly switch on when homes or companies face a power interruption. They supply power by converting and storing power obtained by the main power grid. If there are frequent power cuts that don’t allow the inverters to charge completely, the inverter won’t be able to provide power backup at all. Solar inverters are not dependent on electricity agencies for generating power. They extract power from the sun which shines daily and will be available for energy production always.
- Solar inverters have the ability to run in a hybrid model. They can charge using solar panels and can be charged using electricity as well if needed. Regular inverters can be charged using electricity only.
- Solar inverters can run independently and come with industry ratings. They have an efficient battery charging system which means that they can charge very quickly when needed and can be discharged quickly as well for maximizing energy utilization and storage. Normal inverters don’t run on the independent power and can take a lot of time to charge completely.
With all the benefits and comparisons listed above, it should be easy to comprehend why it is better to opt for a solar inverter for home. Having said that, choosing the right solar inverter is also important. Inverters can come in different ratings and power capacities based on your needs and requirements. Further, the solar industry has seen a lot of development over the past few years and a lot of brands and companies are providing their solar inverters making the decision even more difficult for the end consumer.