Aluminium is an excellent fencing material used on many residential and commercial properties. This is because an aluminium fence is easy to install, inexpensive and designed to last a long time. However, this doesn’t mean that the fence no longer needs maintenance. Typically, it would help if you had your fence inspected and cleaned regularly. Also, the fence should be correctly maintained to keep it in good working condition.
If you are having a hard time knowing how to maintain your aluminium fence, it is best to ask the advice of experts.
Consider doing the following to keep your fence in tip-top shape.
- Prepare the Site to be Maintained
The first step in maintaining your aluminium fence is to prepare the site. This includes removing any debris or vegetation that could potentially damage the fence. It’s also important to ensure that the ground around the fence is level and even. This will help prevent the fence from getting damaged due to harsh weather or other similar events. Once the site is prepared, you can begin maintaining your fence.
- Inspect the Fence and Look for Any Sign of Damage
As soon as your aluminium fence and the surrounding area are prepared, start inspecting the fence for possible damage. Aluminum fences are a popular choice for both residential and commercial properties, but they can also be susceptible to damage from weathering and wear and tear. That’s why it’s important to inspect your aluminum fence regularly and look for any signs of damage. Take note of the issues you’ve observed and have these fixed sooner. You can look for signs of corrosion, especially around the bolts or screws, which can lead to further deterioration of the material. This is also an excellent opportunity to check for the presence of chipped paintwork and loose railings.
- Repair the Damages Found
One of the essential steps in maintaining an aluminium fence is repairing any damage that is found. This can include minor dents and scratches to larger holes and cracks. You may need to contact a fencing installation service provider to help you do the repair.
Repairing damages as soon as they are found is the best way to ensure that your fence lasts many years. If you do not repair these damages, they will only get worse over time. This can eventually lead to the fence falling apart completely.
Many professional companies specialise in aluminium fencing repair if you are unsure how to repair the damage . These companies have the tools and experience necessary to fix any damage.
However, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind when repairing damage to an aluminium fence. The most common of these include the following.
- Make sure that the damage is not too severe. If the damage is too severe, it may be necessary to replace the entire fence.
- Be very careful when repairing the damage. You do not want to worsen the problem.
- Be sure that you use the proper tools and materials. You could do more harm than good if you do not have the right tools.
- Be sure that you follow the instructions carefully. If you do not follow the instructions, you could end up causing even more damage to the fence.
- Clean the Fence
Cleaning the fence after you or a professional contractor is done with the necessary repairs. For best results, you can consider doing the following when cleaning your aluminium fence.
- Use a soft brush or cloth to remove any dirt or debris from the surface of the fence. Make sure the fence is free from any of these substances because they contribute to making the fence lose its structural integrity.
- Use mild soap and water to deal with the stubborn spots on the fence.
- Rinse the fence off with clean water to remove any soap residue.
- Dry the fence off with a soft cloth or brush to prevent water spots from forming.
- If you have an aluminium fence that is starting to show signs of wear, you can use a mild abrasive cleaner to remove any build-up on the surface.
Following these simple tips can keep your aluminium fence looking new for years.
- Paint the Fence
Painting your aluminium fence is also an effective way to make it look the best. Also, a well-painted fence is proven to withstand the extreme weather conditions it is exposed to rather than the unpainted version. Thus, a fresh coat of paint applied adequately on the fence can make a difference. Here are some tips for painting your aluminium fence:
- Choose the right paint. Use exterior paint that is specifically designed for metal surfaces. Choose a paint formulated to work well when painted on aluminium for best results.
- Prepare the surface of the fence. Make sure the fence is clean and free of any dirt or debris.
- Use a primer. Apply a primer to the fence before painting. This will help the paint adhere better to the surface. Also, it provides an extra layer of protection on the aluminium, which is proven beneficial, especially when the fence is exposed to extreme weather conditions.
- Paint in sections. Start at the top of the fence and work your way down. Paint each section one at a time, so you don’t miss any spots. Doing this technique also ensures that the fence is painted with uniform coatings.
- Let the paint dry completely. Once the paint is dry, you can enjoy your freshly painted aluminium fence.
Knowing the correct steps to maintain an aluminium fence, whether it’s a fence gate or a pool fencing, is an essential undertaking that property owners should learn. This is because having the proper know-how effectively ensures that their fences are in good shape, provide the level of security they are expected to offer and remain that way for a long time.
Furthermore, it is also equally important if you will hire a reliable and experienced aluminium fencing contractor to build your fence. The technique ensures that the fence is erected the way it should be. Thus, you don’t need to worry about spending much on maintenance. Also, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your fence was built correctly from day one. Finally, hiring a professional contractor increases the chances of getting the most out of your money.