Working on a dissertation is considered one of the significant components of many graduates and undergraduate courses. It is often a student’s first experience writing the long form and well-researched content.
Several students find writing the master’s dissertation daunting because they are new to it. Therefore the undergraduate and postgraduate courses, a dissertation is the first full-fledged research a student undertakes. A dissertation is one of the academic tasks for students. It helps them form a long-lasting interest in a particular area of interest and exposes them to different research methodologies. Students are also allowed to conduct thorough research on their interested area. If you are also one of those who are looking for step by step guide to writing the dissertation, then you have come to the right platform. With the dissertation help of this write-up, you will get a clear framework on how to write the dissertation to avoid unfortunate problems while working on it.
6 Steps to Draft the Perfect Master’s or PhD Dissertation
Below mentioned are the six steps that will help you to draft the perfect piece of the dissertation write-up.
Step 1: Proper Understanding of the Requirements
This is one of the obvious steps. However, many students commit this mistake before they know the requirements and steps to start writing the dissertation. Therefore, before beginning with writing, ensure you know all the steps and things needed to work on it.
It is necessary to understand what a dissertation is and your university requirements. These two are the necessary groundwork that needs to work before you start your research.
What Do You Mean by Dissertation?
A dissertation is formal research work that helps reflect on the research process. Below mentioned are a few pointers that will help you to understand the term easily:
- It should be based on the specific and well-defined term
- The question should have the scope of the study
- The topic should be the core of the argument and reflect some original thoughts
- Proper understanding of the area of the interest
- Check out the availability of the data
Understanding of the University Guidelines and Requirements
This is also one of the appropriate steps before choosing a correct dissertation topic. Below is the checklist that will help you know about the university guidelines and requirements.
- The area of the research that is offered or not
- Types of the methodologies that can be employed
- Exact requirement of the word count for the dissertation
- What is the critical date and deadlines
- Requirements of the dissertation in terms of formatting
Step 2: Suitable Research Topic
Selecting the perfect topic for the dissertation is one of the daunting processes for many students. It requires selecting and sticking to a specific area for an extended period. However, this is one of the areas that immensely interest you. If you are stuck with choosing a suitable research topic, check out this guide to know the steps involved in choosing the dissertation topic.
Things to keep in mind while choosing the dissertation topic:
- First of all, identify the area of interest. Then, you can draw from your current knowledge and identify the areas that interest you.
- Gather the appropriate resources for the write-up, understand the available resources in the area, and broaden your understanding of the particular area.
- Once you gather the materials and develop a general understanding of the area, you could narrow the area of interest into a particular niche.
Step 3: Prepare the Research Proposal
For the dissertation to be authorised for further study, most universities need the students to create a research proposal or abstract. You are not required to do a thorough literature study at this time. What matters is that you can demonstrate that you have found a glaring research gap that allows for novel study. It’s also crucial to understand the research approach you’ll use. For example, specify whether you’ll do a qualitative or quantitative analysis and how you’ll get the necessary data.
Step 4: Strong Beginning of Your Dissertation
If you are writing a dissertation, you must have a solid introduction. The scope and thesis of your dissertation are presented in the opening chapter. The process of writing a dissertation is dynamic. When the dissertation’s overall structure is quite evident, one may always go back and compose an introduction. However, when the proposal is accepted, many colleges want their students to submit the introduction. Therefore, it is together with the first three chapters.
Things that should be considered to make your introduction strong:
- A small summary of the background or the topic of the area of interest or study
- Check out the existing gap in the literature
- The research questions need to be precise, and the relevant
- Identify the relevance of the study and how it helps to contribute to the research area
- Provide an idea about what to expect from the dissertation
Step 5: Literature Review and Methodology for Your Dissertation
Once you have completed your investigation, you should proceed with this step.
Remembering that a literature review is more than just a synopsis of previous research is crucial. The literature review should be organised and pertinent to your study question.
A literature review serves as the framework for your investigation. In addition, a full literature review lends credibility to your claims.
The following qualities will be present in a solid literature review:
- First, instead of describing the current literature, it synthesises it. In other words, a vital literature review will draw connections between your dissertation’s subject and the body of previous research.
- It connects the previous studies while highlighting the gaps in the current body of knowledge. This implies that the review will include an explanation of the issue.
- It outlines the technique and research plan your dissertation will use and the justification for those choices, which may be based on how well or poorly the prior study suited your needs.
Step 6: Present Your Findings
You will have a clear picture of the structure of your study once the introduction and literature review have been organised. At this point, you should be developing your research and putting out your ideas. This section seeks to answer the questions raised by your study.
You might need a methods chapter for this. This chapter outlines the procedures for doing your study. For example, this section could go through the data gathering and analysis methodologies you employed in your study. This section explains all the choices you took while performing your study. You can begin collecting data as soon as your study concept is defined. This entails holding surveys, conducting interviews, etc. You might outline the methods you’ve employed to collect data for your dissertation in the section on research methodology.
Finally, you might report your findings in the results or discussion chapter. You’ll answer your research topic in this chapter and wrap up your dissertation.
And these are the steps that you can follow to write your dissertation writing task. This write-up will help you understand the key pointers you need to understand while working on the one. Do you need help getting motivated to start something? Still, struggling to decide where to start? Is the deadline approaching quickly?
Do not feel overpowered!
Writing services for dissertations on research have assisted hundreds of students in achieving their goals. However, several students need help completing their academic tasks. If you are also one of them, you can take assignment help service from experts.