Life Style

Hit and Run Accidents – What To Do When the Driver at Fault Flees the Scene

Accidents can occur in a blink of an eye and can lead to devastating results. If you have sustained damage and injuries in the car accident, then this could mean lost wages, piling up medical bills, and repair costs for the damage to the vehicle.

 In addition to this, if the driver at fault flees from the scene, then you may end up wondering how you are going to be compensated for all the damage and injuries.

Also, it is essential to have your Rocklin Car Accident Lawyer by your side so that you can get legal advice. So why do drivers flee from the scenes of an accident?

Why do drivers hit and run from the scene of the accident?

Running from the scene of accidents is illegal and has many penalties; there are many drivers who hit and run. In minor accidents, drivers may not notice that they have hit another vehicle, but those who run from the scene are usually guilty of fault.

Usually, hit and run drivers are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, are driving a stolen car, have no license, no insurance, have a criminal record, or a record of poor driving in the past. Hit and run drivers sometimes flee because they don’t think they will get caught.

What is the law with respect to hit and run drivers?

According to the law, the drivers involved in a car accident need to stop and not flee the scene of the accident. They are required to give their full name, address, and information regarding their insurance to the other drivers of the crash. If the driver hits a car and flees from the scene and does not meet these obligations, then this could result in heavy fines, revocation of license, and even jail time.

So if the driver who hit you has fled the scene, then act quickly and consult with Car Accident Lawyers in California. So who will pay the compensation? If you are a victim of a hit and run accident, then you can still receive compensation for medical bills, lost wages even if the driver has fled the scene and cannot be found. Personal injury protection (PIP) is coverage provided where for your lost wages and medical bills. Your attorney will help you find the right insurance company for this.

What do you need to do after the accident?

If you received injuries from the hit and run driver, then report the accident within 24 hours with the police. If you are unable to do this as soon as possible within 24 hours, you may find difficulties in receiving compensation.

After making a report, be sure to take pictures and videos of the scene and take witness statements. Moreover, you also need to seek medical treatment right away to start the recovery process immediately. You will need medical records in order to strengthen your case.

In conclusion

It is essential that you follow the important steps and consult with an experienced lawyer who knows the law and will help you get the compensation you deserve. In order to protect your rights, you need to take immediate action; otherwise, you may have trouble protecting your rights.

Related Articles

Back to top button