Dirty, stained, or dusty curtains are unsightly and may become a health hazard. A drapes cleaning service is the safest way to keep them clean. The different fabric materials, patterns and styles make it tricky for homeowners to clean them at home. However, there are ways you can clean these delicate window coverings at home. You can give your drapes and curtains a spa-like treatment at home with caution and the utmost care. Here is how:
Step 1: Test the Material’s Colorfastness
A colorless curtain is every homeowner’s nightmare. What if the cleaning solutions you use will wash the color of your curtains? Try the cleaner on the corner to check the colorfastness and suitability of the detergent.
Note: Don’t use cheap detergents to minimize the drape cleaning cost.
Step 2: Vacuuming
Vacuum and remove all soil particles from your curtains. You can use a hand vacuum cleaner to suck excessive dust and dirt from the material. Once you do that, your curtain becomes ready for the next step.
Step 3: Washing
Do read the care label before throwing your curtains in the washing machine. Some materials like silk, linen or cotton need hand washing treatment.
Using Washing Machine
- Pre-treat stains with baking soda or vinegar.
- If your curtain is stain-free, wash it in the machine directly.
- Use gentle mode to avoid wrinkles.
- Dry curtains on low heat.
- Iron them when damp.
Hand Washing Treatment
- Fill a bucket, sink or basin with cool water.
- Add gentle detergents and let the curtain soak into the solution.
- Squeeze the suds and rinse them.
- Remove excessive water before hanging them.
- Dry the curtains on the rods.
Note: Sunlight can be harsh on delicate fibers, so don’t dry your drapes or curtains outside.
Practical Tips to Keep Your Curtains Clean
- Use a hand vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment. Have a vacuuming schedule for your curtains and drapes.
- Keep an eye on your kids as they may clean their muddy hands on curtains.
- Have a regular cleaning schedule for curtains.
- Sanitize them occasionally.
- Hire experts for deep cleaning at least once a year.
- Shake curtains outside to remove dust and soil particles.
- Use a soft brush to remove deeply rooted debris.
- Never tumble-dry your delicate curtains.
- Steam clean by hiring experts, or keep a steam cleaner handy.
- Don’t wash two different colored curtains together.
- Follow the care labels while cleaning them.
- Don’t forget to remove the hook, weights and tapes before washing.
- Use two parallel clothing lines while drying the drapes.
- Don’t dry curtains on wood or similar surfaces, as that may lead to staining.
Drapes and curtains are the souls of a room. They increase your privacy, protect you from outside dust and dirt and enhance the beauty of the interior. However, hiring an expert is a must for keeping them clean and hygienic. You can’t use home remedies forever. Local Curtain Cleaning London is a London-based ever-growing expert team. They are some of the best curtain cleaners in London. These professionals inspect your drape’s condition and treat it with safe and quality cleaning solutions. Fortunately, their top-notch services are quick and pocket-friendly too. Contact them now and safeguard your curtains from their all-time enemies – dust, dirt and germs. You can also get a free quotation on call.