Would you fly to another country? How far would you be willing to travel to see a dentist? A few suburbs? Across the city? Maybe even interstate? It may sound excessive but, as dental costs continue to rise, some people are choosing to risk travelling overseas looking for cheap dental treatments. With reported savings of up to 75% in some countries, it is not surprising a growing number of people are packing their bags to chase cheap dental treatment via dental tourism overseas.
Keep In The Loop With The Latest Dental Trends
With each passing year, dental treatments are becoming more advanced and accessible than ever before. In this blog, we’ll explore the 7 trends of dental treatment in Australia, and why they are so in demand. Before we get into the nitty-gritty, you should be aware of the 3 most common forms of dentistry.
- General dentistry – This includes Checkups & Cleans, Wisdom Teeth & Root Canal.
- Cosmetic dentistry – Including Teeth Whitening, Dental Implants & Teeth Straightening.
- Emergency dentistry – Learn more about emergency dentistry here.
Cosmetic dentistry is usually something that people voluntarily seek due to the fact that it helps to improve appearance by creating a whiter, straighter, more complete smile.
On the other hand, general dentistry is more of a necessity to make sure that everything is in check. Emergency dentistry, as the name suggests, is normally completely unplanned and can also be costly. But we’ll touch more on this later in the blog.
Dental Treatment Trends in Australia 2023
There are plenty of dental tourism mostly looking for treatments like all-on-4 Plus dental implants. So, if you decide to seek treatment overseas, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to get travel insurance, and with no clear avenues to complain if you aren’t happy with the work, there are risks.
Here’s the 7 most trends dental treatments in Australia 2023.
- Teeth Whitening – Teeth whitening has been a popular dental treatment for many years and continues to be one of the most sought-after treatments in 2023. With more and more people looking to improve the appearance of their teeth, teeth whitening is an effective and relatively affordable option. This treatment can be performed in-office or with a take-home kit, depending on the patient’s preference and the dentist’s recommendation.
- Invisalign – Invisalign is a clear aligner system that is an alternative to traditional braces. It’s an excellent option for people who want to straighten their teeth without the noticeable appearance of metal braces. Invisalign aligners are custom-made to fit your teeth, and you can remove them for eating and brushing.
- Dental Bonding – Dental bonding is a cosmetic treatment that can be used to repair chipped, cracked, or discoloured teeth. It involves applying a tooth-coloured resin material to the surface of the tooth and then shaping and polishing it to match the surrounding teeth. It’s a relatively quick and painless procedure that can provide impressive results.
- Dental Veneers – Dental veneers are another cosmetic treatment that can be used to improve the appearance of your teeth. They are thin, custom-made shells that are placed on the front surface of your teeth. Veneers can be used to cover up chips, cracks, and stains or to change the shape and size of your teeth. This is a great option for people who want to improve the overall appearance of their smile. Since they are artificial, they can also be made to appear like really white, healthy teeth that you might not otherwise be able to achieve.
- Root Canal Treatment – Root canal therapy is a treatment that is used to save a damaged or infected tooth. It involves removing the infected or damaged tissue from the inside of the tooth and then filling it with a special material. Root canals have a stigma of being painful and scary, but with modern technology, they are typically a painless and effective way to save a damaged tooth.
- Gum Contouring – Gum contouring is a cosmetic treatment that can be used to reshape your gums. It involves removing excess gum tissue to expose more of your teeth, which can create a more balanced and aesthetically pleasing smile. This procedure can be performed with a scalpel or a laser, depending on the patient’s preference and the dentist’s recommendation.
- Dental Implants – Dental implants are a long-lasting and effective way. They are becoming increasingly popular as people recognize the benefits of having a permanent solution that looks and feels like natural teeth. Implants are made of a titanium post that is surgically placed into the jawbone and a dental crown that is placed on top. With proper care, implants can last a lifetime.
Important Benefits Of Going To The Dentist Regularly
Going to the dentist regularly is essential if you want your teeth to be shiny, white and healthy. Here are some of the important benefits of going to Dentist regularly.
- Prevention of Dental Problems – Regular dental check-ups and cleanings can help to prevent dental problems before they start. Your dentist can identify early signs of tooth decay, gum disease and other dental issues during routine check-ups.
- By catching these problems early, you can avoid more extensive and costly treatments in the future and can prevent potential issues from getting worse. For example, if a simple filling is left untreated, it could lead to a more extreme treatment being required, such as a root canal which is far more costly.
- Visiting the dentist regularly can also help in the early detection of systemic diseases that manifest in the mouth, like diabetes, heart disease or oral cancer.
- Professional Cleaning – This is a fairly routine part of a regular dental check-up. Even if you brush and floss regularly, you may still have plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth. Professional teeth cleaning can remove this buildup and help prevent cavities and gum disease.
- Customised Recommendations – Each patient’s oral health needs are unique, and regular dental visits allow your dentist to provide customised recommendations based on your specific situation. They may recommend changes in your oral hygiene routine, dietary habits, or lifestyle to improve your oral health. They may even be able to provide you with suggestions on how to aesthetically improve your smile and give you insights into exciting new technologies.
- Improved Overall Health – Good oral health is essential for overall health, and regular dental check-ups can help improve your overall health. Studies have shown that there is a link between oral health and other conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. By maintaining good oral health through regular dental visits, you may also reduce your risk of developing these and other health problems.
Risks Outlined Dental Tourism
Dental tourism can be risky. You might pay a large amount to see the best dentist but still not be satisfied with the results. The ADA has recommended that all Australians consider dental tourism of the following risks when considering cheap overseas dentistry in countries such as India, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines or Vietnam.
Most patients will increasingly turn to online sources for information like whether these unique implants require special cleaning as the internet becomes more widespread. If you are considering travelling overseas for a much needed dental treatment, you should be aware of the involved risks, some of the risks include lack of regulation, no insurance, medical and dental history. An important risk factor is the level of education. The education, training and practice philosophies of overseas-trained dentists might be different to those of Australian-trained dentists. Also, there could be problems with communication if English is not spoken fluently.
If the overseas country does not have strict guidelines on sterilisation and cleanliness, the risk of infection is higher. If problems start to arise after you get back home, you might end up paying double of what you would have paid to fix the problem in the first place. Even if you happen to be in the country, as a foreign visitor, you will not be able to pursue any action for shoddy or poor workmanship.
You should now be more familiar with some of the trends Dental treatment in Australia. While some dental tourism treatments are by choice to enhance your smile, others are simply necessary. Many of this year’s dentistry are focused on improving patient care. Specifically, the dental industry is focusing on improving the comfort, affordability, and ease of dental treatments. Though it is not the first to adopt cutting-edge technologies, it is on its way to incorporating many new modern conveniences.
Meanwhile, recent changes in dentistry will likely continue to be a key part of dental practices and also significantly impact dental tourism overseas. By staying up-to-date with these trends, with so many options available, there is sure to be a treatment that can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted. We hope this blog helps you.