Going on a trip is fun when you don’t have to worry about your car. Sure, you can just put the car at a friend’s place, but how long do you want to impose on someone’s garage space?
The only solution seems to be to park at a parking facility. Again, possible, but we know how not secure car facilities are.
So, what should you do? This might sound like a wild idea, but have you considered storage for cars? As in, putting your car inside a 20ft shipping container?
Maybe not. However, we won’t keep you in the dark anymore. We’ll tell you everything you need to know about car storage, shipping container sizing, and the price you’ll likely pay.
What Is Long Term Car Storage and How Does It Work?
Storage facilities usually offer two types of car storage, which are outdoor and indoor storage.
The first option is outdoor storage. What’s the win on this one?
It is the cheaper one of the two. In fact, it is even cheaper than traditional parking spaces! The rate starts at $32.95 per week. Aside from the cheap price, you can practically rent this space for as long as you like.
However, this storage type has a disadvantage. Your car will be exposed to the weather. Under the Melbourne weather, your car can get some expected wear and tear. The best solution would be to cover it with a durable car cover.
The second option is storing your car inside a shipping container. If you worry your car won’t fit, you don’t have to. The container is 6 metres long! So, you can put your car inside and stuff some other things, too.
The container will be delivered to your premises, then you can park your car inside like you usually park. You have a choice here. If you are busy, you can get the container delivered. But, if you want to drive instead, you are more than welcome to.
They can also be rented for a long period of time, so you won’t have to worry about due dates and all that.
However, compared to outdoor storage, indoor storage is more costly. It starts at $59.95 per week.
Benefits of Long Term Car Storage
Why do you need this badly? Let us list the benefits you’ll get from long-term car storage in general;
- You don’t want to prolong your car stay at a friend or relative’s house. That option might seem the most convenient at the moment, but it’s inefficient and will create a bad experience for everyone.
- Store your car for as long as you like. Unlike in a parking facility, you can continue to extend the rent if you need to.
- More secure than the average parking space. Storage facilities store hundreds of containers with people’s precious belongings. So, the company will watch the car park and containers – including yours – like a hawk with 24/7 CCTV and alarm systems.
As for the outdoor storage, the benefits you get are;
- Cheaper prices. The price starts from $34.95 per week. It will stay like that until the end of your rental period.
- Easier access. Unlike indoor storage, you can easily access this car if you want, because it is not put inside a container. Just tell the company and they will give you access.
If you go ahead with the unique shipping container storage, then you’ll get;
- Maximum protection. Your car won’t be exposed to weather, water, vermin, and dust. So, you can expect your car to be as pristine as you last saw it.
- Huge space. After one car inside, you’ll likely still have spare space to put some of your boxes. That’s why it is the go-to choice of families and offices.
- No jostling during transit and storage. There is a tie-down rail in every storage unit, and your car will be tied to it. It will be a snug fit!
- Insurance covered. If damage happens (though unlikely) you can get your money back.
How does that sound?
The main point you need to keep in mind is that car storage is far more secure than the average parking facility.
There are also two options you can choose from, which are indoor and outdoor. Choose outdoor storage for price and accessibility. Indoor storage is for those who want more protection and more space.
Both have their own strengths and weaknesses. So, choose what suits you best. Now, ready for your long holiday worry-free?